Welcome to the Friends of the Clinton-Baker Pinetum Official Website
The Clinton-Baker Pinetum is an historic collection of conifers, now owned by the University of Hertfordshire, located on a site to the south west of Hertford. It was first planted in 1767 by the Baker family, owners of the Bayfordbury Estate, and now extends to 10 acres with approximately 200 different species of conifer.
Winding paths will take you through the various compartments of the Pinetum: the Monkey Puzzle Dell, Giant Redwoods, a Fernery leading to the Grotto and a Fungal Clock are some of the features to be found here.
The Friends' Association
The site had become very overgrown by 1994 when the Friends' Association first started the current restoration. The University of Hertfordshire is encouraging the programme of restoration and conservation based on volunteer labour and gifted capital.
The Pinetum is private property and not open to the public in a general manner. However, individuals, schools and organisations interested in conifers are invited to contact the Ian Flack at Bayfordbury to arrange a visit.
Our main aims are:
Restoring the Clinton-Baker Pinetum to its once nationally acclaimed status with the help of our volunteers.
To maintain and extend the collection of conifers, holding them in trust for future generations
To establish links with other organisations and individuals with similar aims
To encourage the use of the Pinetum of a variety for purposes appropriate to its ownership by a University